The number of infections is jumping up in leaps and bounds. Most of the infections do not lead to serious disease but I for one cannot believe the speed at which this Omicron variant is spreading. In the last 7 days the infection rate has jumped up incredibly fast, compared to previous Corona outbreaks.
A couple of interpretations come to mind.
Firstly; although I am adamantly opposed to conspiracy theories, I cannot help but wonder about how the sudden rise in infections always seems to coincide with the onset of holiday periods. The arrival of a new variant could not possibly have been better orchestrated to cripple our hospital services and deal another devastating blow to our economy than if the whole thing had been planned by some malevolent entity who or what is determined to destroy our way of life – AND HOW DID IT START? – INSURRECTIONS ON THE N3 OUTSIDE DURBAN – AGAIN!
Hey! lets not jump to conclusions before we examine the facts!
* Gauteng not only has by far the greatest number of infections, (80%) but also has the greatest number of unvaccinated people. So Gautengers – don’t be stupid – follow the rules like the rest of us have to as your money will not protect you from the virus!
*Younger people and children have taken over from older people as the leading infected group.
- Joe Phaahla, as the new leader of South Africa’s medical community has stated that the majority of hospital admissions are unvaccinated.
- Ramaphosa, as the designated leader of the people of our country now has a huge problem with how to tackle the latest surge of Covid. Clearly it will be an extremely bad idea to do a drastic shut down as the results will be even worse as the economy will never recover and the results of that on people’s way of life and the loss of life due to starvation and disease will be far worse than the results caused by Covid.
- In any case, as far as I, a lay person with no medical qualifications can see, it is probably too late to arrest the progress of the disease by shutting down all gatherings, closing businesses and shops, parks liquor outlets, guest houses etc. Those who are going to get it will get it and no amount of shutting down of services will stop it. Hopefully, Ramaphosa will come up with an effective compromise solution that will steer us through the crisis.
- The conclusion that all of us have to arrive at; although it is extremely annoying and uncomfortable, is that we all have to continue following the rules regarding gatherings, mask wearing, having a healthy diet, travelling precautions and making sure that we have plenty of fresh air etc until Covid is finally reduced to the point where it is like other infection like Mumps, Measles the flu etc.
- My greatest concern is that community groups from all sectors of our population; because of increasing dissatisfaction with lack of service delivery, unemployment, poverty and the shocking conditions that still prevail in the townships, will, out of desperation rise up again, in another insurrection that will be worse than we experienced in July 2021; which the forces of law and and order will be unable to control; with huge loss of life and precipitate another devastating blow to our economy, business, industry and livelihoods.
- So ANC members – CATCH A WAKE-UP AND PREPARE FOR SUCH AN OUTCOME AND ATTEND TO THE RECONSTRUCTION OF THE COUNTRY, ACCORDING TO YOUR OWN MUCH SELF-VAUNTED PROMISES MADE TO ALL SOUTH AFRICANS! INCLUDING THE CATASTROPHIC EPIDEMIC OF GENDER BASED VIOLENCE!
- If all the citizens of our country and the rest of the world had followed the rules from the early days of the Covid 19 pandemic I for one believe, that by today we would no longer have a Covid problem. However hindsight is always 20/20 and human nature dictates that humans always question everything
- You are entitled to refuse to vaccinate, as quite rightly, it is your human right to do so; but don’t be selfish and be so in love with your own opinion that you put everyone else around you at risk merely through a stubborn refusal to follow the rules.
Our future and the future prospects of the disease are unknown; so all we can do is to keep our heads; pray, and enjoy life as much as we can.